Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Thoughts for the week

Well the NFL's "Final Four" Sunday had me pumped. I was fresh off of a visit home (back to the States). I was trying to get used to Swedish time and enjoying the weekend with my wife and son. Samuel took up ice skating at 3.5. Needless to say he is much better than I will ever be...anyway, I new that at 21.00 Swedish time I could watch the Jets vs Colts game, then around 02.40 I could catch the Saints vs Vikings game. I could sit comfortably in front of my computer and catch the games on the NFL game pass. It would be fun. As fate would have it, I started noticing around 16.00 that we had no phone service and no internet connection. I could not believe this...on this sunday of all sundays!! So I figure a quick call to the internet company could have things fixed...wrong...they closed at 15.00 on Sundays, but the recorded message said that they would be open Monday at 07.00...needless to say I started feeling a "tizzy" coming on...I tried to play "internet fixer"...I had no idea what I was doing...called a few friends...finally...using my phone I saw a score that said the Jets were up 7-3 so I loaded my laptop in my car, drove to our offices at the field, hooked up to the internet and drank a pot of coffee and watched both games. Today...(Tuesday) we now have phone and internet back at the house...

The Greatest Ever:
When I started watching the Jets vs Colts game, the Jets had the lead and the Colts took the ball just before Half-time. Peyton Manning went out onto the field...drove down the field 80 yards in 4 plays taking 58 seconds. He looked like he had figured something out. He apparently had. He came out in the second half and--as they say back home--"gotterdone". When I watch Peyton Manning play...I truly believe that he maybe the best ever to play the game. Time will see if he gets another Super Bowl Ring....

Is this for Real??:
Peyton Manning and Ei Manning are brothers and both have won a Super Bowl playing QB for their respective teams. Peyton won it with the Colts in Super Bowl XLI and Eli won it with the Giants in Super Bowl XLII....the very next year...back to back wins for the Eli family. Now what are the odds that two brothers would led their respective teams to Super Bowl wins in back to back years. Now fast forward to the fact that the Saints...after all these years..all the years of being the "aints" and the old pictures of the fans in the stands wearing paper sacks over their heads...have made it to the Super Bowl. Now, who is the most legendary Saints player...most people would probably say Archie Manning. The Saints took Archie Manning as their first round pick in 1971 and he played 10 seasons with the Saints...Didn't have too many winning seasons...But by playing hard Archie Manning earned the respect of his peers and became probably the most recognizable Saint. So the Saints have their first chance at the Super Bowl and the starting QB of the opposing, and most likely favored, team will be the son of the QB that lead them for 10 seasons. I just find it interesting that there is this wild connection between one man and his family and 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls...

What a way to go out?!?:
Is it true...Bret Farve, argueably one of the greatest to play the game, may end his career with this stat. His final play as a Green Bay Packer...as a New York Jet...and as a Minnesota Viking are interceptions...that is a tough one...but I have been and always will be Farve fan...nobody is perfect..unless doing your best is perfect...then there would be no doubt that Farve was near perfect...He did his best for 309 games...that's not too shabby....

Do you Believe?:
They say that it is a "curse" to be on the cover of Sports Illustrated. I learned from "twitter" via Peter King that the Saints are on this weeks cover of SI. Many of the superstitious will be trying to find ways to block the curse...but is it really a curse?? Last week SI had a split cover nationally...featuring Mark Sanchez and Brett Farve....oh crap...better call the "witch doctor"....

Championship game in Sweden moved out of Stockholm:
I saw the news that for the first time since I have been in Sweden (going on 9 years) the Super Series championship game will be moved out of Stockholm to Karlstad Sweden, or as it is known "Solstaden" (Sun City). I personally think this is a good thing. It might be kind of fun to move the championship game around and Karlstad is most definantly a football town. As a matter of fact it is the only town outside of Stockholm that even seems to be able to support a Super Series football team. The only thing that I think would be better would be to have the Championship game on a Saturday. The last few years, SAFF has hosted a championship weekend that featured U-15, U-17 and U-19 championship games on a Saturday and then the Super Series championship on Sundays. It was a nice arrangement and maybe the only one available with that many games on the same weekend at the same place. But now they are only going to have a U-19 and a Super Series championship on the same weekend, and it is moved to a city 3.5 hours from Stockholm. I will never complain about going 3.5 hours to (hopefully coach in) see the National Championship game. But how cool could it be if there was a U-19 championship game at 12.00 and a Super Series championship game at 16.00. At Half-time they could introduce the winners of the different catagories. Any player or coach nominated that was active in the current game could be represented by a family member of close friend. The game would end around 19.00-19.30 after the trophy ceremony. After that the "football family" of Sweden would have Saturday night to celebrate with the winners or be depressed with the losers or to tell the opponents that "next year will be our year"...This could all be possible if they played the game on a Saturday. Not a Sunday. A Saturday would give the football world a chance to enjoy themselves and not have to rush back to where ever your from after a sunday game. That's just my opionion and since I have a blogg I guess I am entitled to that opinion...
OK..until next update...drive on...

No comments: