Sunday, March 28, 2010

Late night bloggin

Well it's another late saturday night that has been mixed with some great family stuff along with a nice "earth hour" which left me thinking, thank God I had my cell phone!! March is winding down and here in the thawing tundra of Sweden that means that football is getting closer.
What's on the agenda:
Later today (because it is after midnight when I am typing this) we have the big meeting to plan our pre-season camp. As I have mentioned before, I am trying something new out. We will have practice starting after Easter. We will go 4 days a week for 3 weeks. We'll leave the weekends free and try to get things done during the week. We'll see how it goes, but I have very high expectations. One of the key factors in doing this is to extend the time the guys have to work-out prior to starting the season. So we'll see what happens...
Daily Vitamins:
One of the things I have started working with the coaches in our club is a program I call "Daily Vitamins". It is a list of 10 things that each position needs to get done at each practice. I have asked each coach in the club to come up with the 10 things that they feel like their position needs each day. Why 10?? Because that is the way I learned from my old boss Tony Demeo and when you put a number on something it makes people really think through it. The responses have not poured in from the coaches, but I am sure they will come in over time.
O-Line Daily Vitamins:
Here is an example of a list for my OL:
1. Stance and Start
2. Base block/Cut-off
3. Release to second level (for mid-line and veer)
4. Combo Block
5. Cut-block (first and second level)
6. Pass set and Punch
7. Counter pass rush moves (Speed, Bull, Swim & adjust to scouting report)
8. Blitz and Twist pick up
9. Communication (line calls)
10. Second effort drills
So if I am a smart practice planner, I will keep that check-list in mind when I plan my practice and see that I get those things in for my lineman at each practice. If we "take our vitamins" we should be alright...that's the theory behind it anyway.
I would gladly take any other coaches list of 10 daily vitamins for their position. Feel free to list them in a comment or email the directly to me at bdkfbcoach@gmail.com no reason to ever stop learning...
5 suggestions if you are coming to Sweden as an import player:
1. Bring a jacket and some long pants...it will be chilly when you get here..it will warm up and  beautiful in the summer...and it will be chilly again in September.
2. Make sure you have a computer on it and get Skype...easy way to keep up with those in the mother land.
3. Enjoy Mid-summers weekend. If the boys on the team take you to a Mid-summers party...take a camera so you will remember what all you did...
4. If your contract gives you a meal at a resturant, try the Swedish food...it is good....
5. When you have your first pizza here...you will re-define your definition of thin crust...but it is still good...I should know...
The last 5 songs I listened to while typing this update:
1. Jerry Jeff Walker---Life on the Road
2.Willie Nelson--Always on My Mind
3. Creedence Clearwater Revival--Who'll Stop the Rain. (might be the theme song for a bad swedish summer)
4.Carrie Underwood--Don't Forget to Remember Me (Always makes me think of home)
5. Ice Cube--Cold Places
Gotta love "Shuffle" on the Iphone.....
Until next time...take your vitamins...look 'em in the eye...then cut 'em.....The Linemans Dream.....

1 comment:

JK said...

I like the vitamin idea. Makes a lot of sense. And nice song selection. Carrie Underwood to Ice Cube. I know where I get my musical tastes from.