Saturday, February 7, 2009

One step closer to the Swedish drivers liscense

Well I spent three and a half hours driving a little car and trying to control on the classic halkbana course on Friday afternoon. I now am one final step from getting my Swedish drivers license. It has been a long process, but I hope that it is soon over. I can say that all the people that told me I would have a blast at this course were right. I hadn't done stuff like that since a high school lunch trip with two of my buddies driving all over town like crazies at the first snow fall my senior year. Gotta say that the teacher was a blast. He was full of comments for us when we messed up and was not shy with his congratulations when the car actually stopped as it should....

We (the Jets) have booked a pre-season game against the Helsinki Roosters. We take the big boat over to Finland and play them on April 25th. Should be a good test for us to see where we are at.

Hope all the players are working hard in the weight room. I read a quote written on a white board in our weight room. If I translate it correctly it said "strength is good, Explosiveness is everything." I am pretty sure Coach Oud wrote than down as a message for our young guys in the gymnasium program. As a football player, you just need to think about how you have to move and play in a game. Very seldom are you in one spot exerting energy and trying to move something while your feet stay flat on the ground. You have to use ground based traditional exercises to build strength and at the same time exercise in movements that simulate game actions. I think there can be a great marriage between the MAQ training that is taking over Sweden and the traditional training in the core lifts. Not to mention training speed and agility by mimicking movements that you do in the game. When you tie all those things together AND work-out on a regular schedule, you will develop into a good player.

Tip to the young coach---Never tell your players to line up alphabetically by height. It creates a lot of confusion!!

Until next time...understand leverage...be first to strike and first to drive...

No comments: